Press Release - October 13, 2015
Tokyo, Japan - October 13, 2015
Yokogawa Solution Service and Cisco Collaborate on Solution for Oil Refineries
- New, integrated solution utilizing industry-leading security, high-quality network equipment and information system services -
Yokogawa Solution Service Corporation* and Cisco Systems G.K. announce that they will provide a new solution for oil refineries that makes use of their respective information and industrial automation technologies. This platform integrates production, quality, progress control, and other information technologies with the control systems that are used to monitor and control production processes in real time, ensuring that facilities can be efficiently rebuilt and modified. It also improves the efficiency of corporate management by making it easier for information to be accessed by information management systems.
* A subsidiary of Yokogawa Electric Corporation that is in charge of the company's control business in Japan
As a result of a review of Japanese national energy policy, a new law known as the Sophisticated Methods of Energy Supply Structures Act was passed that requires the oil industry to make more efficient utilization of fossil fuels. To accomplish this, oil refining companies are now consolidating their refinery operations, as part of which they must also reestablish and reconfigure their control and information systems. This requires an environment where control, MES, and ERP systems can be quickly built or reconfigured, and where various types of complex data can be accessed in an integrated and flexible manner at each system level.
Features of This New Solution
The solution improves efficiency by structuring and standardizing a plant's control and information systems as well as the data handled by these respective systems. This improves the portability of data, establishes a framework that facilitates the integration, construction, and modification of all of a plant's control and information systems, and creates an environment with industry-leading security for all communications and information management. This is true not only for a plant's own control and information systems, but also for links between plants. In addition to facilitating the consolidation of a company's refinery operations, this solution is useful in the installation and expansion of plant facilities, and can deliver the same benefits here as well. The main features of this solution are as follows.
- Integrated information reporting
Systems with different functions that are in various locations can now be treated as a single virtual information platform, allowing the generation of reports whenever they are needed, and in any desired format. This improves ease of access to information and allows the free selection of key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Information access
This solution features refinery-wide network connectivity and provides a highly-secure environment, allowing a plant's systems to exchange structured and standardized data with systems at company headquarters and other plants with industry-leading security. Information can be quickly imported from other locations, compared, and linked, ensuring that people have all the information needed to make informed decisions.
- Analysis (business intelligence)
The ability to collect a wide range of information and make effective use of large amounts of plant data allows for the performance of multifaceted analyses that can accurately identify solutions and improve both quality and efficiency.
Outlook for the Future
This collaboration of Cisco and Yokogawa Solution Service will not be limited to the oil-refining sector. With Cisco's proven track record in providing highly-secure, high-quality network equipment and information system services and Yokogawa's wealth of experience in the industrial automation field, the two companies will be able to respond flexibly to market needs and provide solutions that deliver great benefits such as improving how control and information systems work together and making maximum effective use of large amounts of control data. Both companies plan to extend this collaboration to other industries, and intend, for example, to roll out this solution to the petrochemical and pharmaceutical industries later this year.
Yokogawa's global network of 88 companies spans 56 countries. Founded in 1915, the US$3.5 billion company engages in cutting-edge research and innovation. Yokogawa is active in the industrial automation and control (IA), test and measurement, and aviation and other businesses segments. The IA segment plays a vital role in a wide range of industries including oil, chemicals, natural gas, power, iron and steel, pulp and paper, pharmaceuticals, and food. For more information about Yokogawa, please visit www.yokogawa.com.
Press Releases in October of 2015
- October 29, 2015Yokogawa Opens a Sales and After-sales Service Office in Turkmenistan
- Expanding the control business in Central Asia -
- October 26, 2015Yokogawa Releases Enhanced Version of ProSafe®-RS Safety Instrumented System
For Greater Efficiency in System Configuration and Engineering
- October 23, 2015Yokogawa Meters & Instruments Releases 2560A Precision DC Calibrator
- October 14, 2015Yokogawa Meters & Instruments to Release Three New Modules for DL850E/DL850EV ScopeCorders
- Including the industry's first SENT-compliant module -
- October 13, 2015Yokogawa Solution Service and Cisco Collaborate on Solution for Oil Refineries - New, integrated solution utilizing industry-leading security, high-quality network equipment and information system services -
- October 9, 2015Yokogawa Wins Terminal Automation Systems Order from Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- October 1, 2015Yokogawa Releases Exaquantum™ R3.01 - Improved data acquisition capabilities for a more detailed view of plant operations -