Press Release - November 11, 2015
Tokyo, Japan - November 11, 2015
Yokogawa Enhanced STARDOM™ Network-based Control System
through Development of New CPU Module for FCN Autonomous Controller
- Faster, Stronger, Smarter -
Yokogawa Electric Corporation announces that it will release an enhanced version of the STARDOM™ network-based control system in the spring of 2016 that includes a newly developed high-speed CPU module for the FCN autonomous controller. Based on the concept of putting forward a product that is Faster, Stronger, Smarter, STARDOM will feature the new CPU module, improved environmental resistance, and an enhanced engineering tool. With this product, Yokogawa intends to expand the open network control system business.
The STARDOM system will be exhibited at the Measurement and Control Show 2015 Tokyo, which will be held December 2 – 4 at the Tokyo Big Sight exhibition center.
STARDOM is a network-based production control system that consists of the FCN autonomous controller and the VDS or FAST/TOOLS SCADA software. Since introducing this system in 2001, Yokogawa has continued to enhance it by adding new functions to satisfy customers' needs. Combining the reliability of a distributed control system (DCS) with the versatility and economy of a programmable logic controller (PLC), STARDOM is widely used in medium-size manufacturing plants and in geographically distributed applications such as natural oil and gas wells. To date, more than 20,000 STARDOM systems have been delivered.
STARDOM's FCN autonomous controller will be capable of reliably controlling high-speed equipment such as compressors, large wind power generators, and other types of turbines, and will be able to operate in a wider range of climatic conditions. Moreover, it will include a function that aids engineers in the performance of installation, modification, and maintenance tasks.
- High-speed calculation and communication
The processor in the FCN autonomous controller's CPU module will have five times the processing speed* of the processor used in the current CPU module. It will also have a Gigabit Ethernet port for faster communication. This will enable the FCN to reliably control high-speed equipment such as compressors and turbines. With its improved capabilities, the FCN will also be able to stably control more advanced and complex applications. The new CPU module will have a total of four Ethernet ports, facilitating a greater number of connections and the configuration of redundant communication paths with SCADA systems.
* With redundant CPUs and 120 proportional-integral-derivative (PID) control loops, the average processing speed for each loop will be about 0.2 ms (not including signal processing time). PID control is a feedback control technology that is widely used in basic materials industries such as oil, gas, and petrochemicals. For each loop, temperature, pressure, flow rate, and other process data from sensors and other types of detection devices are controlled based on a specified set-point, and instructions are output to valves and other terminals.
- Strengthened environmental resistance
Oil & gas wells are often located in deserts, mountainous areas, and other locations with severe climatic conditions, and it is essential for controllers to be able to stably operate even in such harsh environments. In addition to a standard model that covers temperatures ranging from 0 to 55°C, a model covering a range from -20 to 70°C will be added to our FCN offering. Moreover, the controller will have a robust file system that is not affected by sudden power failures.
- Improved efficiency of engineering and maintenance work
With the global shortage of experienced maintenance personnel, systems today must offer functions that assist less experienced workers in the correct performance of modification and maintenance tasks. To reduce the likelihood of errors being made during modifications, a function that compares the programs on the FCN CPU module and PCs will be added to the Logic Designer engineering tool. And even if a network connection to a PC is not available, the system can be updated and system information required for maintenance can be obtained by means of an SD card.
Previously, it was necessary to obtain a software license to download each function to a CPU module. The new CPU module will include all necessary functions, so that their download will no longer be required. This is expected to improve engineering efficiency.
STARDOM is an open network control system consisting of components for control, operation, and monitoring functionality, and its ideal combination of the reliability of a DCS and the versatility and economy of a PLC is highly acclaimed. The FCN autonomous controller, the core of STARDOM, is robust and can be easily implemented in a dual redundant configuration. The controller is widely used as an intelligent remote terminal unit (RTU) not only in applications that require high reliability and versatility/economy, such as small- to medium-size plants, but also in oil and gas well (upstream) and pipeline applications. The combination of the FCN autonomous controller and VDS SCADA software with a web-based HMI that can be accessed anywhere there is a network connection increases the flexibility of STARDOM in distributed applications.
Major Target Markets
- Widely distributed facilities such as oil and gas wells, pipelines, and water and wastewater facilities
- Small- to medium-size oil, chemical, iron and steel, pulp and paper, food, and pharmaceutical process facilities
- Small- to medium-size wind turbines, steam turbines, and hydropower generation facilities
Monitoring, operation, control, data collection, and data storage for small- to medium-size manufacturing facilities
For more information
Yokogawa's global network of 88 companies spans 56 countries. Founded in 1915, the US$3.5 billion company engages in cutting-edge research and innovation. Yokogawa is active in the industrial automation and control (IA), test and measurement, and aviation and other businesses segments. The IA segment plays a vital role in a wide range of industries including oil, chemicals, natural gas, power, iron and steel, pulp and paper, pharmaceuticals, and food. For more information about Yokogawa, please visit www.yokogawa.com.
Press Releases in November of 2015
- November 30, 2015Yokogawa Receives ISAE3402/SSAE16 Internal Controls Report (Type 1) - For the reliable provision of cyber-security management services -
- November 13, 2015Yokogawa Wins Control Systems Order for One of the World's Largest Methanol Plants
- November 11, 2015Yokogawa Enhanced STARDOM™ Network-based Control System through Development of New CPU Module for FCN Autonomous Controller
- Faster, Stronger, Smarter -
- November 9, 2015Yokogawa Introduces Release 3 of the SMARTDAC+® GX/GP Series Paperless Recorders and GM Series Data Acquisition System
- Helping companies obtain Nadcap certification and prepare for Industry 4.0 -
- November 4, 2015Establishment of Yokogawa Corporate Governance Guidelines
- November 4, 2015Yokogawa Meters & Instruments Releases Single Function Calibrator CA300 Series
- Achieves the highest accuracy in the class of single function type calibrators