Yokogawa has a wealth of experience in every part of the oil and gas business, from offshore and onshore facilities to pipelines, terminals, and deepwater operations. We provide solutions that enhance safety, ensure accurate and reliable operation, and increase plant efficiency.
The upstream industry includes offshore and onshore activities including wellhead automation, fractionation, completion, and separation to recover and prepare underground or underwater crude oil and natural gas.
As petroleum is brought to the surface, it must be separated prior to transport. Primary and secondary separation stages commonly distribute gas flow, water flow, and oil flow in three phase separation. Gas movement requires pipeline and can include a fractionation process in the upstream stage prior to movement. Liquids can be placed into a tanks or pipelines and sent for processing, requiring accurate level measurements.
Offshore exploration and production requires maximum uptime under harsh conditions. Manned and unmanned facilities need reliable integrated control and safety systems (ICSS) with advanced remote monitoring capabilities. Yokogawa has state-of-the-art technology and extensive experience in executing offshore projects of all sizes and automation levels of complexity.
The right pipeline control and instrumentation can make a huge difference in terms of performance and profitability. Yokogawa has dedicated technology that can optimize the performance of all elements of a pipeline solution, including compressors, pumps, valves, and intermediate storage and distribution facilities.
Yokogawa total solutions include not only the well site, but also the injection, pipeline, compressor station, and the process plant facility. Our experience for these applications can be integrated to optimize the overall operation capability and maintainability.
Yokogawa is being selected by the major energy companies as its automation partner because Yokogawa focuses on delivering highly reliable solutions – from instrumentation to RTU's, SCADA, DCS, Safety Systems and integrated digital oil and gas field applications. Yokogawa offers a wide variety of sensors and controllers that are used to monitor and operate the digital oil & gas field, as well as engineering and configuration services and support, providing a turnkey automation solution. Explore Yokogawa's products to increase the efficiency and environmental performance of your wells, and ensure their safe and stable operation.
INPEX Corporation (INPEX) is Japan's biggest oil and gas development company and is involved in all aspects of this business, from research to exploration, production, and sales. INPEX is engaged in projects all over the world, in a total of 29 countries, including Japan, where it operates a gas production plant near Oyazawa, a town in Niigata prefecture.
Reliable and safe process control is one of the success factors for companies in the petrochemical industry. For decades, that control was monitored and coordinated from control rooms, which were located close to the process. Safer for personnel and plants is to have the control rooms at a greater distance. Virtualization made control room relocation much easier. Yokogawa offers an off-the-shelf virtualization solution, which was used by bp to relocate one of their control rooms.
Yokogawa provided integrated control and safety system to Banagas's CGP-3 gas processing plant.
N-IO based system contributes to reducing maintenance and other operating expenses (OPEX).
Having safety in the DNA of both organizations, Yokogawa and Mokveld have a perfect foundation for an outstanding business case. For over 30 years, as partners we jointly serve the market with safety solutions that combine the best of both worlds.
- STARDOM and FAST/TOOLS integrated SCADA solution for Indian Oil Corporation's multiproduct oil pipeline.
- STARDOM facilitates the total visualization of data needed for safe and reliable pipeline operations.
Operator Training Simulator helps improve human reliability in a young plant of PetroVietnam Ca Mau Fertilizer.
PVCFC and Yokogawa implemented OTS for third-party control and safety system as a team.
- Exapilot improves operations and reduces energy use at PTT Khanom Gas Separation Plant #4.
- This is a real solution package and a good tool for the plan-do-check-act (PDCA) cycle to achieve operational excellence in the plant.
- Completion of First FPSO Project for Prosafe Production Services Pte Ltd
- Integrated Control & Safety System (ICSS) makes possible centralised plant supervision and management of all control and safety functions on this FPSO.
- Yokogawa receives award for hot cutover of BP Sharjah plant DCS.
- Yokogawa was selected by BP as main automation contractor (MAC) for a project to replace the Sharjah plant's existing legacy DCS with Yokogawa CENTUM VP.
- Yokogawa completes automation replacement.
- A one-team approach by BP and Yokogawa was achieved by managing the business relationship in an open, performance-focused, and collaborative manner.
- CACT Offshore platform reduces unplanned downtime by migrating from Legacy PLC System to reliable CENTUM CS 3000.
- It is possible for CACT engineers to modify the system configuration, download software updates, and hot-swap I/O cards while the process control system is online.
- This is the first offshore platform in Thailand that is designed to make full use of FOUNDATION fieldbus technology.
- Thanks to Yokogawa's highly reliable systems and products, a safe working environment has been achieved.
- Fast implementation of integrated gas pipeline automation system
- Full integration of the leak detection package with allocation, nomination and billing system
A Malaysian Gas Processing and Transmission Company a subsidiary of the national oil & gas major, plays a prominent role in the gas business value chain. The company operates as a throughput service company providing the services of processing and transmission of gas to the power generation sectors and various customers.
- World's largest control systems and PIMS for securing production over an extended period
- Fully-automated, alarm-free operation and reduced total cost of ownership
India's flagship natural gas company GAIL Limited integrates all India's Gas Pipelines by a Yokogawa FAST/TOOLS SCADA system.
- FAST/TOOLS SCADA system centralized monitoring & control of India's gas pipelines.
- All operation data can be directly utilized for gas allocation and billing.
- Yokogawa's integrated solution contributed to reliable and efficient operation.
- All the instrument information is fully integrated with the instrument management system.
- NAM needs to remotely monitor field devices and organize their maintenance schedule.
- True value in instrument diagnostics and preventative maintenance with powerful software tools like DTM.
- Yokogawa revamp of control systems at NAM Den Helder plant ensures stable gas supply in the Netherlands.
- Site survey, creation of a function design specification (FDS) from the existing TDC system database, documentation verification.
- Nearly 1000 FOUNDATION fieldbus devices were connected to the CENTUM CS 3000.
- PRM provides a single window interface to all FOUNDATION fieldbus and HART devices and this gives maintenance personnel quick access.
- FAST/TOOLS SCADA system has helped NAM reduce its operational costs.
- By installing this onto the existing system, the ever greater data streams became easier to manage.
- Online hot cut over from the legacy Honeywell TDC3000 to the Yokogawa CENTUM CS 3000.
- The work was successfully completed 48 days ahead of schedule and without disruption to operations.
Saudi Aramco's operations span the globe and the energy industry. The world leader in crude oil production, Saudi Aramco also owns and operates an extensive network of refining and distribution facilities, and is responsible for gas processing and transportation installations that fuel Saudi Arabia's industrial sector. An array of international subsidiaries and joint ventures deliver crude oil and refined products to customers worldwide.
- The plant was designed to be unmanned, except for some first-line maintenance personnel who are stationed at the plant.
- Through the use of the latest control system and FOUNDATION™ fieldbus technology supplied by Yokogawa, process control and the diagnostic monitoring of field instrumentation is done from remote locations.
- System implementation through mutual trust with customer and proven IT expertise
- Real-time data processing and file generation for office application
- Smooth fieldbus deployment through first-class project management and expertise
- Reduced operating costs by utilizing the latest technology
Mobil Oil Indonesia (MOI) identified Yokogawa as its vendor of choice for all natural gas exploration installations in the north of Sumatra.
- Yokogawa's FA-M3 PLC improves efficiency and accuracy at the lubricant blending processes in Thailand.
- FA-M3 is integrated with SFC Excellence's enterprise resource planning and recipe management system.
Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij (NAM) is the Netherlands' largest natural gas producer. In addition to onshore fields, NAM operates manned platforms and four unmanned monotowers in 19 offshore locations. These connect to a pipeline network that comes ashore at Den Helder.
- Yokogawa provides CENTUM VP subsea and topsides integrated control systems to Stones subsea wells in the Gulf of Mexico.
- The high reliable CENTUM VP system was ideally suited for the world's deepest subsea facility.
Fluidcom combines Valve, Flowmeter, Actuator and Control Software functions to make an all in one full-automatic flow controller which can achieve long term chemical injection stability.
Operators must receive diagnostic information before a line block leads to a malfunction. Yokogawa provides predictive diagnostics based on trend analysis of the blocking factor, which improves maintenance efficiency and reduces maintenance costs.
DP Level transmitter configuration can be very time consuming. Yokogawa DPharp EJA/EJX Pressure transmitters realize reduction in man hours by smart level setup feature.
Fluidcom can optimize Chemical injection systems, to achieve both high asset integrity as well as minimizing OPEX.
HART communication is a means of transmitting multiple signals by superimposing long-standard 4-20 mA DC analog signals on digital signals. The figure below is an example of connecting field instruments and upstream devices using HART communication compatible VJA1/H signal conditioners.
Why FluidCom is suitable for chemical injection on Unmanned Wellhead Platforms (UWHP)
Reverse osmosis (RO) is a separation process that uses pressure to force a solution through a membrane that retains the solute on one side and allows the pure solvent to pass to the other side. More formally, it is the process of forcing a solvent from a region of high solute concentration through a membrane to a region of low solute concentration by applying a pressure in excess of the osmotic pressure.
This paper introduces the ADMAG AXR 2-wire magnetic flomwmeter solution for chilled water application in air conditioning unit.
- Effeciently controls the inlet valve and blow-off valve when the compressor starts and stops.
- During steady operation, controls the inlet valve so that the amount of discharged compressed air becomes constant (flow control)
- Surging: Load decreases, the amount of discharge flow and pressure drop, and a limit is exceeded, possibly destroying the compressor.
The client wanted to monitor the pressure of the gas well at offshore platform remotely to reduce maintenance cost and increase safety of maintenance personnel.
Remote leak detection for pipe line was needed to meet new environmental statute. However cabling earthwork is strictly restricted to protect land environment.
The client wanted to monitor the injection gas pressure of gas lift remotely in central control room. Antitheft measures are needed to install new equipments and cables.
A battery room is used to storage batteries for emergency power management in the plant. Each substation has battery room and the storage batteries are lead-acid batteries which must be maintained within specified operating temperature limits. Temperature management is important to ensure a long service life of the batteries especially for the plant in desert climates.
To defray energy costs, many industrial plants have their own boilers to generate steam in order to produce a portion of their energy needs. In addition to generating power, the steam may also be used directly in plant processes or indirectly via heat exchangers or steam jacketed vessels.
Recently, several ARC Advisory Group analysts and management team members had a chance to sit down with the new Yokogawa President and COO, Mr. Takashi Nishijima, and several other top Yokogawa executives to discuss the company's burgeoning presence in the worldwide upstream and midstream oil & gas industry.
Alarm management is not just a project that has a start and end date; it's a continuous cycle. Once the alarm system has been reviewed and improvements have been identified, we must check that controls are in place to ensure the alarm system remains functional. The key is to ensure that the system is continuously monitored and any changes are fully documented. There are seven key steps for alarm management. Rationalization is one of those critical steps.
Tuning PID controllers can seem a mystery. Parameters that provide effective control over a process one day fail to do so the next. The stability and responsiveness of a process seem to be at complete odds with each other. And controller equations include subtle differences that can baffle even the most experienced practitioners.
The worlds of process automation and production management have been converging for some time. What once used to be islands of automation and production management functionality connected through highly proprietary integration schemes that were costly to maintain have developed into integrated platforms that provide seamless data exchange between the world of automation and the plant floor, the functions of production and operations management, and integration with business level systems.
From engineering to installation, commissioning, operations, and maintenance, FOUNDATION fieldbus offer significant cost reductions of 30 percent or more versus conventional analog systems. Many of these cost reductions come from the advanced functions that fieldbus offers versus analog technology.
The automation suppliers that will be successful in the long term will be those that effectively address application or industry specific problems for end users with a value proposition that cannot be ignored. These problems exist throughout the process industries today, and they won't be solved by simply offering a product, but through a combination of hardware, software, services, application expertise, and knowledge.
In ARC's view, customers need a compelling business value proposition to justify investment in any kind of automation. Vigilance and VigilantPlant were created with this in mind. Yokogawa's vision with VigilantPlant is to create an environment where plant personnel and operators are well informed, alert, and ready to take action.
Yokogawa has come a long way in making its message clear to the world of process automation. Last year, the company embarked on a full-scale global marketing campaign to make customers aware of the company's focus on system reliability, security, dependability, and robustness. Dubbed "Vigilance", the campaign created a unified message for the company and greatly helped expand awareness of the Yokogawa brand and corporate philosophy.
Process automation end users are under more pressure than ever to do more with less. The current economic climate means that many automation capital projects are on hold. With capital budgets tighter than ever, users instead focus on operational budgets (where cost cutting is also a key concern), or on automation investments with a very rapid return on investment.
In today's dynamic industrial marketplace, the only constant is change. Raw material costs, energy costs, market demands, environmental and safety regulations, technology, and even the nature of the labor force itself are constantly changing, and not always in predictable directions.
Discovering your Baseline with OT Security Risk Assessment
Process plants are run according to operational procedures. These procedures consist of a set of tasks that are executed in a consistent manner to achieve a specific objective, such as starting up, shutting down or transitioning a unit as part of making a product.
The EPA rule, 40 CFR 63 Subparts CC and UUU, is forcing refineries to monitor flares. Fortunately, modern analyzer technology makes it possible to meet the requirements, generate the necessary reports, and stay in compliance.
Here’s how to select the right analyzer to meet these demands.
In times of abnormal operations, systems are configured to produce lots of data – humans are not configured to handle or interpret them. However, when presented with the right information, in the right context, during an abnormal condition, humans are able to do things machines cannot.
Martin te Lintelo, Yokogawa Europe B.V., The Netherlands, discusses high level control system design for LNG receiving terminals. As demand for LNG increases worldwide, players face seemingly conflicting challenges. On one hand, they must expand capacity in different regions, make the business and production as agile and adaptive as possible, and improve operational efficiency.
The LNG sector presents challenges for the automation supplier, particularly in the implementation of automation systems for regasification terminals. Yokogawa Europe's business development manager, upstream oil and gas Martin te Lintelo looks at the handling of the potential automation-related problem areas and opportunities.
Partnering with Saudi Aramco, Yokogawa is providing local project execution including testing and implementing a continuing policy of Saudisation.
Many published papers discuss the benefits of subsea HIPPS and many studies show the potential cost-benefit analysis of this technology in deepwater applications. An internet search for subsea HIPPS is informative; however, little appears that discusses the systems already delivered and operating successfully.
Eduard van Loenen and Frank Horden, Yokogawa, describe utilising a modern SCADA system as a collaboration centre platform for bringing 'real-time' operations, maintenance and business information sources together in one integrated visualisation environment.
Only 5% of data is transferred into meaningful information so, asks Frank Horden, Business Development Manager, Yokogawa Global SCADA Center, USA, how to ensure pipeline management data is translated into valuable knowledge?
Using wireless for gas detection is a very flexible method, and allowed ExxonMobil to establish it as a redundant system
Trinity integrated Systems' iDefine Suite reduces errors and streamlines design of safety instrumented systems
Natural gas pipelines are among the last users of pneumatic controllers, but a more modern digital approach provides many benefits. Clayton Wilson, Control Instruments Division Manager, Yokogawa Corporation of America, provides a comparison of the two different methods.
Honeywell and Yokogawa have both been producing Distributed Control System (DCS) platforms for decades, and both are very active in this area. In 1975, Honeywell introduced its TDC2000 platform and Yokogawa brought out CENTUM. These two competing systems emerged from a similar place, oil refining and petrochemical industries, so they started out with similar basic concepts and use cases in mind.
Machines can support humans when facing a stressful situation. Using a standards-based approach can reduce the likelihood of a problem escalating.
Assets and operations will have human-like learning and adaptive capabilities, allowing responses without operator interaction to situations within a secure, bounded domain.
The YSS1000 setting software (hereinafter referred to as the YSS1000) is package software to configure the functions of the YS1000 series (hereinafter referred to as the YS1000) devices. Writing and reading of parameters and user programs of the YS1000, and PID tuning and monitoring of user programs can be performed through the use of communication.
How much do you know about pressure transmitters? Are you accurately, quickly and reliably measuring pressure? Ultimately, the drive of any good pressure transmitter is to get an accurate, reliable pressure measurement to the data user quickly. This video gives you the answers to your basic questions about pressure and pressure transmitters.
Join this webinar to better understand which manifolds you should use for specific applications and conditions. You will learn:
- A brief history of manifolds
- An overview of the different types of manifolds that are available
- The advantages, disadvantages, and application considerations you should consider when selecting a manifold
Monitor and reduce emissions while improving your utilities system’s energy performance in a clever and cost-effective way! Follow this webinar on the challenges industrial producers are facing and how an energy digital twin that provides a centralized single source of the truth is key in managing them.
Interested in the 3 large benefits on energy efficiency? Watch the recording of the webinar on how to optimise your combustion process, make a difference in your operating costs and reduce your carbon footprint.
COVID, the falling oil price and the ageing population are causing an unstable economic environment. In this recording Hans Hennekam discusses 3 customer cases how to respond to this flexibility, increase uptime, reduces costs and improve safety.
Yokogawa Addresses Major Threat to Flow Assurance with On-demand Hydrate Risk Management Solution for Oil & Gas Production
- Industry-first (according to Yokogawa research, as of August 27, 2018 ) solution to be demonstrated at ONS 2018 -
- Optimizes the supply chain and operations by enabling plant personnel to work more efficiently -
- Expanding our control business in the midstream oil and gas market-
Looking for more information on our people, technology and solutions?Contact Us