2010 Press Releases-23
Tokyo, Japan-November 18, 2010
Yokogawa Releases MT6530 Series Wafer Memory Test Systems
Yokogawa Electric Corporation announces that it has developed the MT6530 series of wafer memory test systems for the mass production of memory devices. The series will be released in January 2011.
The newly developed MT6530 series, which succeeds Yokogawa's MT6121 wafer memory test system, features enhanced test frequency and increased parallel testing efficiency. This results in a 75% reduction in test time per 300 mm wafer, making this the best performing testing solution available on the market. The highly cost-effective MT6530 series is targeted mainly at the mass production of DRAM*1 as well as NAND, NOR, and other types of flash memory*2.
Yokogawa will introduce this series at SEMICON Japan 2010, which will be held at the Makuhari Messe international convention complex starting December 1, 2010.
Semiconductor manufacturers have been making efforts to radically reduce manufacturing costs in order to stay globally competitive. One such initiative has involved the development of shrinking technology to increase the number of chips that can be obtained from a single wafer. The reduction of testing costs is also key to strengthening competitiveness.
DRAMs are well known semiconductor memory devices that have driven the growth of the semiconductor market. While large numbers of DRAMs are used in personal computers, they are also being used more and more in mobile phones, smart phones, and tablets. It is expected that DRAMs will continue to account for a large share of the semiconductor market. In response to these needs, Yokogawa has developed new wafer memory test systems that are especially effective in performing DRAM testing efficiently and at low cost.
- Triple the throughput
The MT6530 series testers can simultaneously test a maximum of 1,536 DUTs, which is triple the throughput of the MT6121. This has been made necessary by advances in shrinking technology, which have increased the number of chips that can be obtained from a single wafer. The MT6530 series testers make possible lower testing costs by reducing test time and the number of touchdowns.
- Suitable for high-speed and high-frequency devices
The MT6530 series testers have a maximum 444 MHz operating frequency and transfer data at 888 Mbps, which is 1.6 times faster than the MT6121. The MT6530 series testers are therefore well suited for high-speed, high-frequency tests of DRAMs for mobile phones, smart phones, and tablets.
Main Target Markets
Integrated device manufacturers (IDM) and testing houses specializing in the testing of semiconductor memory devices
- *1 DRAM
- A type of random access memory that reads and writes data in any order and is volatile (needs to be refreshed periodically). It is mainly used for personal computers.
- *2 Flash Memory
- NAND: a type of non-volatile flash memory that is always writable and readable. Flash memory cards of this type have greater storage densities and are used for digital cameras and the like.
NOR: a type of non-volatile flash memory that offers superior random access performance and is commonly used in cellular phones.
- *3 KGD
- Refers to the practice of guaranteeing quality by testing a wafer before individual chips are packaged and shipped to end users. Also refers to chips that have been tested in this manner.
- *4 LPDDR2s
- Stands for low power double data rate 2. This is a DRAM standard established by the JEDEC Solid State Technology Association of the US. This also refers to chips that meet that standard. LPDDR2 is used mainly in portable electronic devices such as cellular phones. KGD tests are essential in the production of LPDDR2s.
Yokogawa's global network of 25 manufacturing facilities and 80 companies spans 54 countries. Since its founding in 1915, the US$3 billion company has been engaged in cutting-edge research and innovation, securing more than 7,200 patents and registrations, including the world's first digital sensors for flow and pressure measurement. Industrial automation and control, test and measurement, information systems and industry support are the core businesses of Yokogawa. For more information about Yokogawa, please visit our web site at www.yokogawa.com
Press Releases in November of 2010
- November 25, 2010Yokogawa Releases ST6731 FPD Driver Test System
- November 18, 2010Yokogawa Releases MT6530 Series Wafer Memory Test Systems
- November 10, 2010Yokogawa Releases Enhanced Version of CENTUM® VP