Whether you produce organics, inorganics, or intermediates, you are under constant cost and margin pressure to deliver products to your customer in a timely and efficient manner while maintaining safe and compliant operations. Additionally, you need to adjust to constant feedstock and energy prices and be able to provide the most profitable product mix to the market.
Yokogawa has been serving the bulk chemical market globally and is the recognized leader in this market. With products, solutions, and industry expertise, Yokogawa understands your market and production needs and will work with you to provide a reliable, and cost-effective solution through the lifecycle of your plant.
Don't let broken instrumentation dampen your productivity
Shutdowns and other emergency situations happen, which can have a critical impact on your production schedule. That is why Yokogawa is pleased to offer improved delivery with our Quick Ship Program. With quick shipping, you can have the products you need sooner, allowing you to remain on schedule after an emergency situation.
Get back to business quickly
Yokogawa is able to deliver quick shipping for many of these standard products by pre-building them to have sub-assemblies prepared, contributing to a shorter lead-time, and an overall faster shipping process. Through our Quick Ship Program, we ensure an expedited ship date, cutting down our standard lead time to just days for most products including pressure transmitters, flow meters, and various analyzers.
OperX Measurements: Electrolysis Solutions
|Process Flows for Electrolysis Cells||Trace Moisture in Chlorine Production|
- Legacy System Replaced with Yokogawa CENTUM VP and ProSafe-RS at PTA plant in Indonesia.
- PID parameters imported to CENTUM VP without complex calculations.
Yokogawa provided CENTUM DCS, APC, Exapilot, and Exaquantum for the migration project at Juhua Group's methane chloride plant. The entire management and optimization solution contributes to improving economic benefits, plant safety, quality, etc.
- Main instrument vendor (MIV) concept was applied in this project to reduce the total project engineering cost.
- This consisted DCS, SIS, all instruments, control valves and tank gauging system under working with project management consultant (PMC) and EPC.
- CENTUM CS 3000 production control system contributes to smooth HDPE production.
- The challenge for this replacement project was in completing the work and starting up the new CS 3000 system as soon as possible, keeping downtime to a minimum.
- CS 3000 efficiently controls and monitors coal gasification process.
- Once an operator selects "Start", the necessary instructions are sent to all plant equipment via the sequence control.
- Rapid Implementation of Integrated CENTUM CS 3000 and ProSafe-RS.
- The highly reliable CENTUM CS 3000 system has also helped TOL maintain high productivity at this plant.
Yokogawa & Nouryon Co-Innovation Leads to New PH-Analyzer
- Introduction of CENTUM CS 3000 maximizes productivity and improves product quality at special polymer plant.
- A major improvement as a result of this project is that butadiene monomer recovery efficiency jumped huge.
- CENTUM VP Batch replaces the legacy system and improves production efficiency in the acrylic plant.
- CENTUM VP Batch capability can handle the recipe management to Batch report handling and unit management.
- Exapilot is Effectively Applied to Polypropylene Plant and Optimizes Operation, Cost Savings.
- By using Yokogawa's Exapilot, Safripol were able to eliminate product variations and kept the operations consistent.
- PetroChina Dushanzi Petrochemicals Polyethylene Plant system migration.
- The revamp included the challenging creation of function design specifications (FDS) as well as FAT and SAT.
- Kaneka Corporation has urgently needed to implement countermeasures that would reduce this facility's energy costs.
- Optimization of control strategy helps BTG plant save energy and operate more efficiently.
- Single 'look and feel' operator interface for the DCS and NCS
- Fast and controllable integration cycle
- High speed hybrid compressor control solution
- Reduced OPEX for the compressor operation by replacing old and obsolete PLCs with a modern hybrid control platform
- Provided a better way to transfer its manufacturing know-how to the next generation
- Reduced energy consumption and operator workload by implementing Advanced Process Control (APC) and Advanced Operator Assistance (AOA)
- The work was based on a preceisely formulated roadmap with detailed checklists for every control cabinet, process station, and network component.
- The seamless use of the same HMI for both PCS and SIS, and improved safety and integrity.
- IFCo chose Omegaland operator training system to make ready for a flawless and safe plant start-up.
- Omegaland is contributing to operator training prior to completion of the greenfield fertilizer plant.
As the demand for food is increasing worldwide, fertilizers are playing an essential role in improving agricultural productivity. OCI Nitrogen (hereinafter OCI) is a leading producer of mineral fertilizers and the world's largest producer of melamine, which is used to make adhesives and resins for a wide range of applications, such as furniture panels, laminate flooring, coatings, paints, and plastics.
Tsurumi Soda Corporation,Yokohama,Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
- Yokogawa's operational performance program bench mark service enhanced the automation performance at the chemical plant.
- Operator stress was dramatically reduced by identifying the causes of excessive manual interventions.
Yokogawa CENTUM VP and SIS were selected for the Evonik Oxeno's BTX facility expansion project.
CENTUM provides the operational transparency, and more efficient diagnosis of compressors which are the heart of the facility.
- Yokogawa joined forces with Air Liquide to co-innovate the step-by-step revamping plan based on Air Liquide's specific requirements.
- Customer was satisfied that Yokogawa was able to deliver its solutions on time and on budget.
This introduces a system that uses Ethernet communications to acquire measured values, target values, and control output values from a controller installed on site into a PLC at high speed (ten units' worth within one second).
Stable level delivers increased yields, allowing operators to hold higher flow-through tank levels.
In the plants of food and beverage manufacturers, there are times when monitoring and recording of production equipment is necessary inside clean rooms. This is an introduction to monitoring and recording in clean rooms using paperless recorders.
Accurate and durable magnetic flow meters (magmeters) were difficult to maintain in the process as the corrosive and abrasive nature of the process degraded their operation. That led to leaks that not only reduced the flow but also contaminated the product and the magmeters. Since Sigura maintained strong vigilance, the company needed to replace some magmeters monthly...
Operators must receive diagnostic information before a line block leads to a malfunction. Yokogawa provides predictive diagnostics based on trend analysis of the blocking factor, which improves maintenance efficiency and reduces maintenance costs.
The EJX910A with Micro-Orifice can measure ultralow flowrates for samples and carrier gases, and allows the technicians to access shelter readings remotely without performing time-consuming manual rounds.
The GX20 and GX90UT offer an average value computation function making it ideal for controlling temperature and other fluctuating phenomena. The operating status can be controlled in real time, providing operating cost reductions.
Many different types of gases are consumed in industries as varied as chemicals, food & beverages, and medical. These gases are normally delivered in liquid form by trucks and dispensed at the customer site. Although the flow volume of cryogenic liquefied gas is used for billing purposes, it is not easy to accurately measure this because the gas is always at saturation temperatures.
Corrosion, permeation, or drift can cause a degradation of pressure measurement readings, which, in turn, can put the electrolysis cell out of balance and risk damage to the cell membranes.
With industrial and economic development comes increasingly large and advanced power plants and factories. Nevertheless, we find many cases where the original cables, cable tunnels, and other components of the power infrastructure have languished under continuous operation.
In limestone-gypsum flue gas desulfurization systems, the consumption of a desulfurization agent (lime) is controlled using online pH analyzers.
- Temperature monitoring is required to prevent wind-fueled fire hazards.
- The measuring points are up to 600 meters away from the control room.
Both bulk and finished inventories are stored in distributed tank farm remote from the site operations. These are difficult to instrument due to the infrastructure cost involved. These are then monitored daily by patrol rounds. While effective, this method does require a large skilled labor force to monitor all of tanks. This can impose an additional risk when the stored medium is of a hazardous nature.
Industrial Combustion sources such as thermal cracking furnaces and, process heaters play a critical role in the process industry.
- Daily manual reading of pressure and temperature gauges with report by phone.
- The customer wants to change measurement from off-line to on-line.
- Cabling for wired transmitters in huge plants (up to 300 meters long) is expensive.
Install a YTMX580 on the side of the rotating furnace that can wirelessly transmit measured values from multiple temperature sensors.
Heat exchangers are devices that provide the flow of thermal energy between two or more fluids at different temperatures. Heat exchangers are used in a wide variety of applications. These include power production; process, chemical and food industries; electronics; environmental engineering; waste heat recovery; manufacturing industry; and air-conditioning, refrigeration, and space applications.
- Temperature is monitored to maintain consistency of the viscous fiber entering the drum.
- Existing system requires manual temperature readings.
- Wired temperature measurement is not available because the tank is rotating.
- Manual temperature reading requires walking about 130 m and climbing up and down elevated sections of the dryer stages.
- Multiple temperature measurement points along the various stages of the dryer require many cables to the control room.
- Very high humidity.
- Wireless temperature measurement
Gateway x1, transmitter (YTA) x1, repeater x2 (The 2 repeaters are for redundancy)
- Extended antenna to circumvent obstacles and improve the radio path for stable measurement (communication was unstable when the height of the antenna was low).
ISA100 wireless temperature and pressure transmitters with orifice plates allow:
- No cabling installations or maintenance.
- Small amount of hardware and simple equipment implementation means minimizing potential vandalism.
ISA100 Wireless Monitoring
- Gateway x1, Temperature Transmitter (YTA) x3, Pressure Transmitter (EJX) x1, Repeater x1
Gateway is installed at control room and 3m height extended antenna is set.
- Temperature Transmitter (YTA) and Pressure Transmitter (EJX) are installed at each monitoring point.
- Repeater is installed on high position.
- Wireless pressure and temperature monitoring.
- Repeater was set under the gateway.
- The maximum distance between the repeater and transmitters is approximately 500m.
Hydrogen is the simplest and smallest atomic element. Water, acids, bases, and the immense family of organic compounds all contain hydrogen. Even though hydrogen is not corrosive, it can cause problems for pressure transmitters through Hydrogen Permeation.
Electrolysis plants create hydrogen and chlorine from a brine solution. Chlorine gas generated from the anolyte of the electrolysis tank generally contains between 0.5 to 2.0 vol% H2O. The sample is then cooled and filtered to remove brine, subsequently coming out as wet chlorine gas. The wet gas is sent to a drying tower where it is treated with sulfuric acid to get moisture down to the ppm level.
Download this eBook and learn:
- The top challenges that drive reinstrumentation
- How to plan for and achieve a successful project
- Best practices in identifying your project scope
- 5 ways to improve operator effectiveness
- Different scenarios and best practices for updating, migrating or replacing process controls, safety systems, and instrumentation in plants
Visual MESA© is a steam system optimization and management computer program that was originally developed at Chevron and now marketed by Nelson & Roseme, Inc. Visual MESA is currently used at refinery and chemical manufacturing sites to optimize the overall site steam system and the parts of the electrical system that economically trade off with the steam system.
This paper will explore significant optimization variables and constraints commonly encountered in refinery steam system optimization, the strategies Visual MESA uses to deal with them.
In general, refineries exhibit a very good potential for real time monitoring and optimization using Visual MESA Energy Management System.
Based on our extensive experience, overall benefit in the range of 2% to 5% of the total energy cost can be achieved. Expected project payback is always less than one year.
This paper will not describe just all the features of the software or fully explain on-line optimization technology. The objective of this work is to present some interesting facts and lessons from the experience of implementing a cost based optimization program at thirty oil refineries and petrochemical complexes, around the world, since 1997. This paper will focus on the key optimization variables and constraints in steam system optimization, how they should be handled and how the human and organizational aspects can be addressed.
Industrial facilities where power and steam is produced (i.e., Cogeneration) exhibit a very good potential for real time monitoring and optimization using Visual MESA Energy Management System.
Based on our extensive experience, overall benefit in the range of 2% to 5% of the total energy cost can be achieved. Expected project payback is always less than one year.
Visual MESA was successfully applied to many industrial facilities worldwide, several of them operating steam and power generation networks of different complexity and capacity but all with energy cost savings.
This paper discusses real industrial examples in which the sitewide utilities system of refinery and petrochemical Sites are optimized with a real time, on line, industrially proven software. Experiences gained during more than 20 years of industrial projects deployed worldwide are commented (Refs. 1 to 10 are related to some recent projects). Main project steps are explained and critical details to be taken into account to assure successful use and proper technology transfer are presented. Specific case studies will be discussed in the paper.
Utilities and energy systems are often the major source of SOx, NOx and CO2 emissions, therefore, emissions control and the management of credits and quotas are tightly interrelated with energy management.
Big and complex industrial facilities like Refineries and Petrochemicals are becoming increasingly aware that power systems need to be optimally managed because any energy reduction that Operations accomplish in the producing Units could eventually be wasted if the overall power system cost is not properly managed. However, process engineers always attempted to develop some kind of tools, many times spreadsheet based, to improve the way utilities systems were operated. The main drawback of the earlier attempts was the lack of data: engineers spent the whole day at phone or visiting the control rooms to gather information from the Distributed Control System (DCS) data historian, process it at the spreadsheet and produce recommendations that, when ready to be applied, were outdated and not any more applicable.
Utilities and energy systems are often the major source of SOx, NOx and CO2 emissions, therefore, emissions control and the management of credits and quotas are tightly interrelated with energy management. In the case of refineries, chemical and petrochemical plants, energy represents the main cost (second to feedstock) and therefore its reduction has become a bottom line business decision. The energy systems at these sites are inherently complex, with the emissions cost analysis and limits compliance introducing an additional factor to the complexity of the energy costs reduction challenge.
The energy systems, the steps for the implementation of Visual MESA and several features of the model are described in this article, with a focus on the use of the software for the calculation of energy-related KPIs. The EMS implementation project is discussed and the main conclusions relative to the reduction in operating costs are also presented.
Experiences gained during more than 20 years of industrial projects deployed worldwide are commented. Main project steps are explained and critical details to be taken into account to assure successful use and proper technology transfer are presented. Specific case studies will be discussed in the paper. Open loop vs Closed loop implementation is also presented.
Rohm and Haas Company is one of the world's largest manufacturers of specialty materials, including adhesives, sealants, coatings, monomers, electronic materials, inorganic and specialty solutions, and ion exchange resins. Founded in 1909 by two German entrepreneurs, Rohm and Haas has grown to approximately $6 billion in annual revenues.
This paper shows how to improve distillation operations by focusing on procedure automation. It will review the importance of using procedures in distillation operations and highlights the collaboration work underway between Fractionation Research Inc. (FRI) and Yokogawa Corporation to improve procedural operations.
The worlds of process automation and production management have been converging for some time. What once used to be islands of automation and production management functionality connected through highly proprietary integration schemes that were costly to maintain have developed into integrated platforms that provide seamless data exchange between the world of automation and the plant floor, the functions of production and operations management, and integration with business level systems.
The world of process automation is governed by procedures. While we like to refer to the process industries as being largely "continuous", this could not be further from the truth. Process manufacturing is constantly in flux.
From engineering to installation, commissioning, operations, and maintenance, FOUNDATION fieldbus offer significant cost reductions of 30 percent or more versus conventional analog systems. Many of these cost reductions come from the advanced functions that fieldbus offers versus analog technology.
The automation suppliers that will be successful in the long term will be those that effectively address application or industry specific problems for end users with a value proposition that cannot be ignored. These problems exist throughout the process industries today, and they won't be solved by simply offering a product, but through a combination of hardware, software, services, application expertise, and knowledge.
Yokogawa has come a long way in making its message clear to the world of process automation. Last year, the company embarked on a full-scale global marketing campaign to make customers aware of the company's focus on system reliability, security, dependability, and robustness. Dubbed "Vigilance", the campaign created a unified message for the company and greatly helped expand awareness of the Yokogawa brand and corporate philosophy.
In ARC's view, customers need a compelling business value proposition to justify investment in any kind of automation. Vigilance and VigilantPlant were created with this in mind. Yokogawa's vision with VigilantPlant is to create an environment where plant personnel and operators are well informed, alert, and ready to take action.
Process automation end users are under more pressure than ever to do more with less. The current economic climate means that many automation capital projects are on hold. With capital budgets tighter than ever, users instead focus on operational budgets (where cost cutting is also a key concern), or on automation investments with a very rapid return on investment.
In today's dynamic industrial marketplace, the only constant is change. Raw material costs, energy costs, market demands, environmental and safety regulations, technology, and even the nature of the labor force itself are constantly changing, and not always in predictable directions.
Migration of a refinery's DCS provided an opportunity to reconfigure and consolidate the control rooms and operational management system.
Process plants are run according to operational procedures. These procedures consist of a set of tasks that are executed in a consistent manner to achieve a specific objective, such as starting up, shutting down or transitioning a unit as part of making a product.
Yokogawa is helping a large chemicals site in China manage product transfer by road, ship and pipeline.
The Wyoming Trona Ore Mine and Refinery upgrade from Yokogawa Centum CS3000 to CENTUM VP-R5 involved two domains, 21 RIO and FIO field control stations, 17 operator stations, 6 engineering stations and 8 different plant servers
CONTROL, January 2013
Standard Automation Methodology Improves Operations and Prevents Incidents by Enabling the Sharing of Best Practices Among Operators.
A Perspective on New Technology Impacts on the Chemical Processing Industry by Sergio Fernandes, Chemical Market Leader, Yokogawa Corporation of America
ARC believes that by implementing procedural automation, many process plants can minimize variability to help ensure smooth, efficient, and safe state transitions.
Kind of. Calibration itself will not extend the life of a sensor, however, a sensor that is not calibrated properly can cause unreliable measurements - that are often misdiagnosed leading to unnecessary replacements.
Optimizing the maintenance cycle is not always straightforward. In some cases, cleaning once a week is sufficient and other processes may require every 8 hours.
Learning these four lessons will help you improve your engineering skills and most importantly extend the life of your pH sensors.
Select the correct pH glass and reference type to improve your pH sensor lifetime and you can limit or even eliminate the effects of temperature and pressure on especially the reference sensor.
The lifetime of a pH sensor has a significant impact on the overall annual costs of a pH measuring loop. Optimizing four key factors will decrease these costs and optimize process control and overall plant efficiency.
- Chemical Industry Solutions (4.2 MB)
- Success Story Collection Chemical (Base Chemical, Fertilizer, Petrochemical) (7.6 MB)
- Pre-Engineered Solutions for Moisture in Chlorine (650 KB)
- Yokogawa Corporation of America Corporate Overview (13.5 MB)
- Electrolysis Solution: Instrumentation Solutions for Electrolysis Plant Application (10.4 MB)
- Improved Combustion Efficiency and Safety with TDLS Measurements (7.8 MB)
ROTAMASS is the integral and remote type Coriolis Mass Flow Meter. Both types have highly refined digital signal processing electronics, so that accurate and stable mass flow measurement is achieved.
It is the most technologically advanced mass flow meter yet. By combining the superior design of the application specific flow sensor and transmitters with the Total Insight philosophy and functionality, the flexibility of the ROTAMASS to adapt to changing requirements guarantees performance throughout the lifecycle of the process measurement.
Yokogawa programs each oven to suit one or multiple process samples via its main components (sets of valves, columns, and detectors explicitly designed to the customer's application), and the combination of which is based on the chemical properties of all or some of the components in the specific gas mixture.
The GC8000 has an innovative predictive diagnostics; Virtual Tech, package built in to help keep the unit operating at peak performance. A number of Key Performance Indicators (KPI) are monitored during every analysis to verify the analyzer is operating within proper tolerances. The data monitored includes: Chromatogram Shape, Peak Data, Valve Data, Detector Data, Oven Performance Data
The GC8000 has a built-in 12-inch color touch screen display that dramatically simplifies maintenance. At the touch of the screen, the technician can access all of the analytical parameters and measurement results; displayed in easy-to-understand graphical color screens.
Looking for more information on our people, technology and solutions?Contact Us