What Are Magnetic Flow Meters?
Magnetic flow meters, also known as magmeters, are widely used in a variety of industrial field applications due to their reliable flow rate measurements and features such as low-pressure loss and maintenance-free operation.
Yokogawa’s ADMAG series magnetic flow meters are designed with dual-frequency excitation to achieve stable measurement, zero stability, and quick response times.
Learn more about how magnetic flow meters work and the technology behind Yokogawa's ADMAG flow meters.
ADMAG Total Insight Electromagnetic Flow Meters
Total Insight is a Yokogawa concept for optimizing operations and reducing maintenance costs through every phase of the product lifecycle. The ADMAG TI magnetic flow measurement series consists of the ADMAG AXG and the ADMAG AXW electromagnetic flow meters. For industries such as pulp & paper and more, ADMAG TI series magnetic flow meters have digesters that are reinforced and protections to resist wear and deformation and extend service life, even under harsh high-pressure and high-temperature conditions. The ADMAG AXG is a complete redesign of the ADMAG AXF and will accommodate bore diameters from 2.5 mm up to 500 mm, while the revamped ADMAG AXW will accommodate bore diameters ranging from 25 mm to 1800 mm.
The ADMAG TI series AXG is ideal for industrial applications including oil & gas, chemical, and pulp & paper. With built-in diagnostics and exclusive PFA injection liner, the AXG provides ease of operation while reducing total cost of ownership.
The ADMAG TI series AXW is ideal for general industrial applications including water supply and sewage. Sizes range from 1" to 72" and an assortment of lining materials are available.
Magnetic Flowmeter CA Series
The CA Series promises stable measurement even for fluids that are considered difficult to measure, such as slurry fluids and adhesive fluids. The design based on the Total Insight concept improves operability and maintainability for customers.
ADMAG CA magnetic flow meter is excellent at measurement in ultra-low conductivity fluids down to 0.01 microS/cm, adhesive fluids, or slurry fluids.
The ADMAG AXR is the world's first two-wire magnetic flow meter which employs the fluid noise free "Dual Frequency Excitation Method," achieving excellent stability for instrumentation.
FSA130 Magnetic Flowmeter / Vortex Flowmeter Verification Tool
Magnetic Flowmeter / Vortex Flowmeter Verification Tool provides the diagnosis, reporting and data management for the health check of ADMAG TI (Total Insight) Series AXG or AXW magnetic flowmeter with HART protocol and Vortex Flowmeter VY series with HART protocol.
FieldMate should be prepared by customers. FSA130 is the license key to activate the Verification Tool.
ADMAG TI Remote Transmitters
Remote transmitters (converters) for ADMAG TI provide outstanding reliability and quicker response time.
ADMAG TI - AXG Ethernet Flow Meter with EtherNet/IP Connectivity
- Yokogawa ADMAG TI AXG Flow Meters with EtherNet/IP connectivity
- Industrial applications include pharmaceutical, food/beverage
How a Magnetic Flow Meter Works
Magnetic Flow Meter Principle: Faraday's Law
Magnetic flow meters consist of a detector and a converter, with the principle of the detector adopting Faraday's electromagnetic induction law. Faraday's Law states that if conductive fluid flows in a magnetic field, an electromagnetic force is generated in proportion to the fluid's flow velocity. Generally, the inner walls of a detector's measurement tube (metal pipe made of SUS, etc.) are lined with a relatively thick insulating layer to prevent the shorting of the generated electromotive force. This insulating layer is referred to as "lining." There are many kinds of lining materials available that provide corrosion and abrasion resistance to the fluids being measured.
Industrial Advantages of Magnetic Flow Meters
All Yokogawa magnetic flow meters are engineered with dual-frequency excitation, an innovative method that superimposes high frequencies on low frequencies, providing the best of AC and pulsed DC excitation. This technology ensures excellent flow noise immunity, fast response times, and excellent stability by utilizing the low-frequency spectrum while maintaining high accuracy and high zero stability.
- To bring the customer a real-time monitoring and management capability, Yokogawa installed STARDOM (FCJ), flow meters, and transmitters at key points throughout the distribution network.
- The STARDOM FCJ controllers achieved an accurate water loss management system while keeping the running costs to a minimum.
Water Supply Treatment
FAST/TOOLS, STARDOM, Flowmeters, Liquid Analyzers
- Bali's water treatment plant decided to employ the latest reliable control system in order to increase availability and quality of operation.
- Centralized control system using FAST/TOOLS provides the sophisticated and flexible operation.
With the high temperatures, pressures, and levels of dissolved organics that are encountered, the ADMAG AXG flow meter design is ideal for use in all phases of the chemical recovery process.
Questionable flow and conductivity measurements during CIP could raise questions about food quality and safety.
Magnetic Flowmeter dual frequency excitation provides immunity to slurry noise by good stability and accuracy, determining the maintenance timing can be recognized by monitoring of electrodes.
Flow performance extends cell membrane life with accurate, reliable, and stable performance - saving millions of dollars in membrane repair costs, reducing instrument maintenance costs and production downtime, and production loss.
The condiment facility staff had success with Yokogawa’s ADMAG TI AXG magnetic flowmeters in other applications. When they learned EtherNet/IP communication was now offered on the ADMAG TI - AXG, they chose to use the Yokogawa magmeter solution on the mustard grinding lines.
The ADMAG AXR employs the patented “Dual Frequency Excitation Method.” This unique technology combines the best properties of low-frequency excitation to enable a stable measurement and high-frequency excitation to deliver excellent noise immunity. As a result, the AXR can suppress process-generated noise to secure zero stability without sacrificing fast response time. In addition, the AXR achieves the same level of noise immunity as a 4-wire circuit under varying fluid conditions and delivers the performance necessary to meet the requirements for control loop applications.
Accurate and durable magnetic flow meters (magmeters) were difficult to maintain in the process as the corrosive and abrasive nature of the process degraded their operation. That led to leaks that not only reduced the flow but also contaminated the product and the magmeters. Since Sigura maintained strong vigilance, the company needed to replace some magmeters monthly...
Yokogawa's ceramic liner can offer the customer superior resistance to thermal shock and the failure that can occur due to liner cracking. This is due to Yokogawa's use of 99.9% pure Al2O3 for the liner.
Yokogawa’s ADMAG TI - AXG magnetic flowmeter (magmeter) with EtherNet/IP is used to measure the water moving from the pump to the snow cannons. The accurate measurement allows the operator to monitor and control the water in the mixture to produce artificial snow with the perfect consistency.
This paper introduces the ADMAG AXR 2-wire magnetic flomwmeter solution for dust collection water application of steel converter.
In order to reduce emissions of air pollutants such as sulfur oxides (SOx) and nitrogen oxides (NOx), power plants have installed flue gas desulfurization systems known as scrubbers.
The use of recycled oil as an energy source presents a significant processing problem. ADMAG CA has been shown to provide reliable and stable flow measurement of recycled oil containing water.
Read this eBook to learn how to best leverage the latest measurement instrumentation to avoid incidents and improve productivity. You will also find valuable information about overcoming common CIP challenges and stories of success.
Smart devices, like Yokogawa’s line of Total Insight transmitters and flowmeters contribute to Digital Transformation during operations and throughout the lifecycle of the instrument.
More than half a century has passed since Yokogawa developed Japan's first magnetic flow meter for industrial use in 1955, and today, Yokogawa's magnetic flow meters are widely used in a variety of applications thanks to features such as low pressure loss and maintenance-free operation due to no obstacles and moving parts in the fluid flowing pipeline.
After having undergone several improvements, magnetic flow meters have become highly accurate and reliable and are widely used in the industrial instrument field today. Magnetic flow meters consist of a detector and a converter, with the principle of the detector adopting Faraday's electromagnetic induction law.
In 1988, Yokogawa launched the ADMAG series of magnetic flow meters with increased resistance to fluid noise and zero stability, employing dual frequency excitation which was developed based on its long-cultivated technology for flow measurement. Since then, the ADMAG family has augmented its application range with such models as explosion-proof and integral types, and a capacitance type.
Control Engineering Asia, March 2012
Enabling the operational benefits of two-wire magnetic flow meters while maintaining the performance levels associated with traditional four-wire devices.
Recent or pending air pollution legislation to reduce the amount of air pollutants is increasing worldwide. In the U.S., The Clean Air Act address numerous air quality problems. One of these problems is acid rain (much of which falls in Canada) caused by sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide emissions from fossil-fueled power plants and other industrial and transportation sources.
- Benefits of ADMAG Total Insight Series Magnetic Flow Meter for Pulp & Paper (871 KB)
- Brochure: Rotameter® - Variable Area Flowmeter (15.8 MB)
- Brochure: Rotameter® - Variable Area Flowmeter (15.8 MB)
- Electrolyzer Solution Instruments and Solution for Ion-Membrane Electrolyzer Plant Application (3.4 MB)
- Electrolysis Solutions: Instrumentation Solutions for Electrolysis Plant Applications (5.9 MB)
- Five Mistakes When Selecting a Flowmeter (440 KB)
- Yokogawa in the Food and Beverage Industry (5.9 MB)
- Brochure: Five Mistakes When Selecting a Flowmeter
- Water Industry Solutions (739 KB)
- Flow Meter Selection Guide Poster
- ADMAG AE BRAIN Communicating Magnetic Flow Meters (58 KB)
- AXF FOUNDATION Fieldbus Communication Type Magnetic Flowmeter (791 KB)
- How to Connect ADMAG TI - AXG with EtherNet/IP to a Webserver
- AXF Series Magnetic Flowmeter Installation Manual (7.2 MB)
- AXF Series Magnetic Flowmeter Installation Manual FOUNDATION Fieldbus Communication Type and PROFIBUS PA Communication Type (876 KB)
- ADMAG AE HART Communicating Magnetic Flow Meters Pocket Guide (72 KB)
- ADMAG AE HART IOM (255 KB)
- ADMAG BRAIN Communicating Advanced Magnetic Meter Pocket Guide (55 KB)
- ADMAG CA BRAIN Communicating Magnetic Flow Meter Pocket Guide (56 KB)
- ADMAG HART & BRAIN Communicating Magnetic Meter Pocket Guide (71 KB)
- ADMAG SE BRAIN Communicating Magnetic Flow Meters Pocket Guide (70 KB)
- ADMAG SE HART Communicating Magnetic Flow Meters Pocket Guide (60 KB)
- AE14 Converter (796 KB)
- AM012 - Magnetic Flow Meter Simulator (533 KB)
- Foundation Fieldbus For ADMAG AE (399 KB)
- Integral Magnetic Flow Meter AE100-300 (1.3 MB)
- Magnetic Flow Tube - AM100D-AM500D (835 KB)
- Manual Change 05-008-1E - SE100-200MJ/NJ (49 KB)
- Manual Change 05-023-1E - AE100-300 Integral (108 KB)
- Manual Change 05-023-2E - AE100-300D Remote (97 KB)
- Model SE14 Magnetic Flow Converter Manual Change (72 KB)
- Models CA100S and 200S Capacitance Magnetic Flow Meter Manual Change (81 KB)
- Models SE100DJ/EJ, SE200DJ/EJ and SE300DJ/EJ Magnetic Flow Tube Manual Change (61 KB)
- Models SE100MJ/NJ and SE200MJ/NJ Integral Type Magnetic Flow Meter Manual Change (67 KB)
- Remote Type Magnetic Flow Meter AE100-300D (738 KB)
- YMA11 User Manaul - Rev 3 (3.7 MB)
- AXF Integral Flowmeter/Remote Flowtube AXF Standard (JIS Flange) Fluorocarbon PFA Lining (96 KB)
- AXF Integral Flowmeter/Remote Flowtube, AXF Standard(Wafer), Ceramics Lining (94 KB)
- AXF Integral Flowmeter/Remote Flowtube, AXF Standard (Sanitary Type for Clamp Connection), PFA Lining (484 KB)
- AXF Integral Flowmeter/Remote Flowtube AXF Standard (DIN/AS Flange) Fluorocarbon PFA/Polyurethane Rubber/Natural Soft Rubber/EPD (95 KB)
- AXF Integral Flowmeter/Remote Flowtube, AXF Standard(Wafer), Ceramics Lining (90 KB)
- AXF Integral Flowmeter/Remote Flowtube, AXF Standard(Wafer), Ceramics Lining (89 KB)
- AXF Integral Flowmeter/Remote Flowtube, AXF Standard(Wafer), PFA/Polyurethane Rubber/Natural Soft Rubber/EPDM Rubber Lining (93 KB)
- AXF Magnetic Flowmeter Remote Converter (Optional Code /RK, AM11 Replacement Bracket) (48 KB)
This video explains how to open .eds files in Studio 5000. The Yokogawa Magnetic Flow Meter ADMAG TI - AXG with EtherNet/IP is used as an example.
This video shows steps to bring the Studio 5000 Data Points into the FactoryTalk View Studio. The Yokogawa Magnetic Flow Meter ADMAG IT - AXG with EtherNet/IP is shown as an example.
This video describes the process of connecting the Yokogawa Magnetic Flow Meter ADMAG TI - AXG with EtherNet/IP to a webserver
To effectively control and optimize industrial processes, trusting measurements from flowmeters is vital.
This webinar will explore the fundamentals of flow measurement technologies and how they stack up in different applications.
Looking for more information on our people, technology and solutions?Contact Us